|Instr:||Dr. Roger Griffiths|
|Office:||Old Main 305|
|Email:||email@example.com (don't use my Mercyhurt email)|
|Text:||Calculus Early Transcendentals 10thED, by Anton, Bivens, Davis;
Notes (Spring 2017):
I am not teaching Calculus I this semester, (Spring 2017).
Four nights a week tutors will be available to help you with this class.
Follow this link for information about these help sessions.
Several On-line Algebra Resources
- A good Algebra Resource Algebra in 10 lessons by D.P. Story
- Video lectures of (basic) mathematics YAY Math.org
- A local resource for: Algebra Practice (username as given in class)
- Paul's Online Math Notes: Algebra Notes
- Paul's Cheat Sheets - from algebra to Calculus
- Paul's Notes also has Notes/Review of Calculus I and Calculus II.
Why understanding mathematics is essential:
If one does not understand or refuses to deal with mathematics, one has fatally impaired one’s ability to
comprehend the natural sciences, because not only are the ideas of the natural sciences expressed in
mathematical form, but also the relationships among those ideas are established with mathematical
It's Time To Start...Ready...Go!
Still not convinced? . . . Ok, your goal here is not just to get through this mathematics course, or even just to get a 'good' grade in this class. You are not in college just to get 'mostly good' grades, your goal is to further your education and hopefully to become successful after you graduate college? If you are still reading this paragraph then you should listen to someone else, someone famous on TV, tell you things that I tell you in class; watch this short (~3 min) video of Neil deGrasse Tyson (noted American astrophysicist) being interviewed on CNN.
Bad Habits You Must Eliminate from Your Daily Routine
You are the sum of your habits. When you allow bad habits to take over, they dramatically impede your
path to success. The challenge is bad habits are insidious, creeping up on you slowly until you don’t
even notice the damage they’re causing.
READ MORE > > > (by Dr. Travis Bradberry)
Quit Saying 'I'm Just Not a Math Person'
It started with a fairly simple problem. The class of elementary education majors were looking at energy and efficiency. This course is specifically designed to help these students get a basic understanding of the nature of science > > > READ MORE > > > (Quit Saying 'I'm Just Not a Math Person')
Free software is simply software that respects our freedom — our freedom to learn and understand the software we are using. Free software is designed to free the user from restrictions put in place by proprietary software, and so using free software lets you join a global community of people who are making the political and ethical assertion of our rights to learn and to share what we learn with others.
What is all this "open-source"/"Free software"?
- Education: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." READ ON
- Schools have a social mission: to teach students to be citizens of a strong, capable, independent, cooperating and free society. Read more > > > Why Schools Should Exclusively Use Free Software
- Free software is a matter of liberty, not price The Free
Software Foundation (FSF) OR
The Free Software Definition GNU.org- The Free Software Definition
Software - Open Source(Free Software generally under the terms of the Free Software Foundation's GNU General Public License)
- - An introduction to Linux from Opensource.com
- - LibreOffice is the free power-packed Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute (and much better than that expensive virus you are probably currently using).
- - GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
- The R Project for Statistical Computing - R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- XPPAUT a tool for numerically solving differential, difference, or delay equations
- Maxima - a sophisticated computer algebra system
- Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical computations (similar to Matlab).
- Iode - free, but you will need Octave (see link below) or Matlab to use (phase plane utility).
- SAGE: Open Source Mathematics Software - Creating a viable free open source alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab
The problems with GNOME 3 are not as bad everyone is saying. Sure GNOME 3 itself is ...hmmm, well as Linux daddy Linus Torvalds says "GNOME 3 is an unholy mess", but the Xfce graphical desktop environment is a decent replacement for GNOME 2, so problem largely solved.
A new documentary film "Patent Absurdity" is set to expose how the judicial activism that led to the patenting of software has broken the US patent system's promise of promoting the progress of science and useful arts. This has ramifications for students, in the harm being done to software developers and the wider economy.
- Plotting and many other math tools: Wolfram Alpha.
- Winplot for Windows XP This is a great -FREE- math ploting utility. It compact and very easy to use.
- A Calculus reference
- Another source of Calculus references