ALEKS Math Placement
Placement Scheduling Information - PLEASE READ
- All tests will be proctored in the computer labs in the basement of Old Main.
- You must make an appointment and arrive at your scheduled time to take the test. If no other students are scheduled at that time, the proctor may not be present.
- The appointment time you choose is when you should arrive. Please allow up to three hours to complete the test, though most students finish in under two hours. The test must be taken in a single session; you will not be able to resume the test at a later time.
Schedule an appointment
Summary about ALEKS and satisfying prerequisites
- The test takes approximately two hours to complete, and is customized for each student. Based on your responses, the test will generate questions of varying difficulty and topics. The score takes this into account, and reflects your preparation for our courses. The test and recommended scores are in use at hundreds of institutions across the country. To learn more about ALEKS, click here.
- You are not required to take the placement if you:
- are a current junior or senior
- have successfully earned prerequisite credit, either at Mercyhurst or as a transfer, for the course you would like to take. If you have credit for Math 118, for instance, you do not need to take the placement test to register for Math 170.
- have received AP credit in Calculus (score of 4 or better)
- You can satisfy the Math/Stat requirement of REACH by earning a score of 46 or better on the placement test. You will still need to earn a total of 7 or more credits in the Analytic Thought category. No credit is given for the placement test. Be sure to check with your advisor to see if your major requires a mathematics course aside from the REACH requirement.
- If you are not a current freshmen, you will need to pay a $25 fee to take the placement test. This fee includes five attempts on the placement over a 1 year period, and also comes with 6 months of online, customized remediation to help you improve your score if you did not place into your desired class.
Interpreting your score
|If your score is at least...||You are eligible to register for...|
|30||Math 110 Math Applications|
|Stat 109 Statistics|
|Stat 130 Intro to Social Statistics|
|Stat 137 Biostatistics|
|46||Math 111 College Algebra|
|Stat 139 Statistics for the Sciences|
|Math 146 Programming I|
|54||Math 118 Math for the Natural Sciences|
|61||Math 112 Trigonometry and Functions|
|76||Math 170 Calculus I|
|Phys 101 Principles of Physics|