|Office:||Zurn Hall 313A|
|Text:||Calculus Late Transcendentals Combined; 9thED,
by Anton, Bivens, Davis;
Notes:The text above is the correct Fall 2012 textbook
(You may notice there is a newer, 10th ED, we are continuing with the 9th ED).
Four nights a week tutors will be available to help you with this class.
Follow this link for information about these help sessions.
Several On-line Algebra Resources
- A good Algebra Resource Algebra in 10 lessons by D.P. Story
- Video lectures of (basic) mathematics YAY Math.org
- A local resource for: Algebra Practice (username as given in class)
- Paul's Online Math Notes: Algebra Notes
- Paul's Cheat Sheets - from algebra to Calculus
- Paul's Notes also has Notes/Review of Calculus I and Calculus II.
Why understanding mathematics is essential:
If one does not understand or refuses to deal with mathematics, one has fatally impaired one’s ability to
comprehend the natural sciences, because not only are the ideas of the natural sciences expressed in
mathematical form, but also the relationships among those ideas are established with mathematical
It's Time To Start...Ready...Go!
Still not convinced? . . . Ok, your goal here is not just to get through this mathematics course, or even just to get a 'good' grade in this class. You are not in college just to get 'mostly good' grades, your goal is to further your education and hopefully to become successful after you graduate college? If you are still reading this paragraph then you should listen to someone else, someone famous on TV, tell you things that I tell you in class; watch this short (~3 min) video of Neil deGrasse Tyson (noted American astrophysicist) being interviewed on CNN.
Say NO to Internet CensorshipThis week Congress is debating whether to give the government the power to turn off parts of the Internet. If that sounds like a terrible recipe for abuse of power, that's because it is.
- If enacted, a new law would make it so a simple allegation of copyright infringement—with no review process—could lead to the shutdown of sites from YouTube to Wikipedia to MoveOn.org.
- Any website, foreign or U.S.-based, could be wiped out on suspicion and made unavailable to everyone in the world.
- For example, if you (or Justin Bieber) wanted to post a video to YouTube of yourself singing a Beatles song, a record company could force the Department of Justice to shut down YouTube. Really.
- But as you may have guessed, Congress didn't come up with this tragically terrible idea on their own. Lobbyists representing Comcast, Pfizer, record and movie companies, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce have been pushing Democrats and Republicans to pass bills to allow this new kind of Internet censorship. And they're close to getting their way.
Add your name to the debate today.
No Robocalls - Protect your minutes and privacy
Corporate interests like the Chamber of Commerce, the American Bankers Association, and a coalition of debt collectors are trying to sneak H.R. 3035 through under the radar. This bill would allow businesses to repeatedly hound you throughout the day, no matter where you are, using up minutes that YOU pay for!
At a time when Americans are rebelling against corporate greed, it's almost unbelievable that bankers and debt collectors would try to push through another law that benefits corporations at the expense of everyday Americans. We can't let them get away with it. But there's still time to stop it.Sign the Petition:
"Uphold the ban on cell phone robocalls - protect our minutes and privacy. Hang up on H.R. 3035 today!"
Stand up for your freedom to install free software!We, the undersigned, urge all computer makers implementing UEFI's so-called "Secure Boot" to do it in a way that allows free software operating systems to be installed. To respect user freedom and truly protect user security, manufacturers must either allow computer owners to disable the boot restrictions, or provide a sure-fire way for them to install and run a free software operating system of their choice. We commit that we will neither purchase nor recommend computers that strip users of this critical freedom, and we will actively urge people in our communities to avoid such jailed systems.
Read more > > >
Free software is simply software that respects our freedom — our freedom to learn and understand the software we are using. Free software is designed to free the user from restrictions put in place by proprietary software, and so using free software lets you join a global community of people who are making the political and ethical assertion of our rights to learn and to share what we learn with others.
Moving Planet was a worldwide day to move beyond fossil fuels, with over 2000 events in more than 180 countries! See the latest pictures of these worldwide events.
What is all this "open-source"/"Free software"?
- Education: "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." READ ON
- Schools have a social mission: to teach students to be citizens of a strong, capable, independent, cooperating and free society. Read more > > > Why Schools Should Exclusively Use Free Software
- Free software is a matter of liberty, not price The Free
Software Foundation (FSF) OR
The Free Software Definition GNU.org- The Free Software Definition
Software - Open Source(Free Software generally under the terms of the Free Software Foundation's GNU General Public License)
- - LibreOffice is the free power-packed Open Source personal productivity suite for Windows, Macintosh and Linux, that gives you six feature-rich applications for all your document production and data processing needs: Writer, Calc, Impress, Draw, Math and Base. Compatible with all other major office suites, the product is free to download, use, and distribute (and much better than that expensive virus you are probably currently using).
- The open source web browser.
- - GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
- The R Project for Statistical Computing - R is a free software environment for statistical computing and graphics.
- XPPAUT a tool for numerically solving differential, difference, or delay equations
- Maxima - a sophisticated computer algebra system
- Octave is a high-level language, primarily intended for numerical computations (similar to Matlab).
- Iode - free, but you will need Octave (see link below) or Matlab to use (phase plane utility).
- SAGE: Open Source Mathematics Software - Creating a viable free open source alternative to Magma, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab
The problems with GNOME 3 are not as bad everyone is saying. Sure GNOME 3 itself is ...hmmm, well as Linux daddy Linus Torvalds says "GNOME 3 is an unholy mess", but the Xfce graphical desktop environment is a decent replacement for GNOME 2, so problem largely solved.
What is Ubuntu?
Ubuntu is an operating system built by a worldwide team of expert developers. It contains all the applications you need: a web browser, office suite, media apps, instant messaging and much more. Ubuntu is an open-source alternative to Windows and Office. Read more > > >
Your open access to the web is at stake - Debunk the Junk! Submit comments to the FCC to Protect Free Speech. Net Neutrality protects Free Speech!
A new documentary film "Patent Absurdity" is set to expose how the judicial activism that led to the patenting of software has broken the US patent system's promise of promoting the progress of science and useful arts. This has ramifications for students, in the harm being done to software developers and the wider economy.
Juniors & Seniors take notePortfolios: the Hidden Weapon of Job Seeking
- Plotting and many other math tools: Wolfram Alpha.
- Winplot for Windows XP This is a great -FREE- math ploting utility. It compact and very easy to use.
- A Calculus reference
- Another source of Calculus references